NdisWrapper nearly working - was madwifi ath_pci config problems on Sony Vaio

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Nov 17 18:04:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 09:49 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 16:14 +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 November 2005 11:42 am, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > > Hi folks.
> > >
> > Okay, so I've given in with madwifi (madwifi.org.being down hasn't
> > helped) and gone for NdisWrapper.  I've installed the RPM's and
> > followed the installation instructions and all goes fine provided I
> > don't want to use WEP.  If I don't set the WEP key on Linux and disable
> > WEP on the AP all's fine, but when I enable WEP on the AP and run
> >
> > iwconfig ath0 key restricted XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX
> >
> > where the key matches the one in the AP and the one in XP, it no longer
> > works.  Anyone know why?
> >
> > (Without a WEP the MAC address of the AP shows up in 'iwconfig wlan0',
> > with the WEP key it doesn't)
>
> The command should read:
>
> 	iwconfig wlan0 key restricted XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX
>
> "wlan0" being the wireless interface.  I don't know where you got the
> "ath0" from.

ath0 comes from the madwifi stuff. Been through a similar situation
here. I had to make sure I removed all the madwifi/ath0 stuff, at least
the devices.

Gary, I would appreciate to know if you get this working. I have mine
working except for WEP. Can't seem to make it work. Without WEP my
wireless works great. Can't make a connection when I try WEP.

I thought you were not supposed to use the dashes in the key. Maybe
that's been my problem....

Thanks,
James