NdisWrapper nearly working - was madwifi ath_pci config problems on Sony Vaio

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 18:30:12 UTC 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 6:04 pm, James Pifer wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 09:49 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > >
> > > Okay, so I've given in with madwifi (madwifi.org.being down
> > > hasn't helped) and gone for NdisWrapper.  I've installed the
> > > RPM's and followed the installation instructions and all goes
> > > fine provided I don't want to use WEP.  If I don't set the WEP
> > > key on Linux and disable WEP on the AP all's fine, but when I
> > > enable WEP on the AP and run
> > >
> > > iwconfig ath0 key restricted XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX
> > >
> > > where the key matches the one in the AP and the one in XP, it no
> > > longer works.  Anyone know why?
> > >
> > > (Without a WEP the MAC address of the AP shows up in 'iwconfig
> > > wlan0', with the WEP key it doesn't)
> >
> > The command should read:
> >
> > 	iwconfig wlan0 key restricted XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX
> >
> > "wlan0" being the wireless interface.  I don't know where you got
> > the "ath0" from.

ath0 was indeed from madwifi, which I hadn't completely removed. Have
now and it's now generating wlan0 as the device..

I did set the essid as a seperate command, but have tried setting both
on the same command as in Rick's example - it made no difference.

> ath0 comes from the madwifi stuff. Been through a similar situation
> here. I had to make sure I removed all the madwifi/ath0 stuff, at
> least the devices.
>
> Gary, I would appreciate to know if you get this working. I have mine
> working except for WEP. Can't seem to make it work. Without WEP my
> wireless works great. Can't make a connection when I try WEP.
>
> I thought you were not supposed to use the dashes in the key. Maybe
> that's been my problem....

I don't use dashes either, but put them in to try. It made no
difference. I am in the same boat as you, the link works fine provided
I don't use encryption.

Has ANYONE got it working with WEP?

--
Gary Stainburn