Advice sought on makine web-server safe

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Nov 17 18:42:40 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:

> apache does so many different things that it has to be complicated. Just
> dishing out static web pages is pretty much the thing that it does by
> default out of the box so apparently all you really needed was a
> firewall around every port but port 80.

Yes, thank you.
I'm currently running one of the default shorewall configurations,
so I guess my question really is (or was):
If I open up my firewall to allow access to port 80,
could clever but malicious people use this in some way
to damage my computer system?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366