USB Scanner and FC4

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 03:57:44 UTC 2005

Hello, I have an Epson CX6600 MFP, this scanner worked flawlessly
under FC3.  Granted I had to add the device id to the hotplug scanner
map and create a user and group named scanner and setup the sane
backend.  All in all it was not difficult following the guides,
howtos, and manpages.

But not now, under FC3 when the system booted I ended up with a
symlink named scanner??????????????????? that pointed to the usb
device.  Now the only usb entries in /dev are /dev/usb/lp0 (the
printer portion of this MFP) and the following three entries usbdev1.0
usbdev1.1 and usbdev1.2.

I have tried to make my own rules for udev, but to no avail.  I am
completely stumped on this one now.

Any help would be appreciated.

John