uol.com.br is now banned from this list

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 18 05:41:36 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 07:58 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
>>I suppose the way to definitively solve this issue is to create an
>>smtp daemon that tarpits connections from uol.com.br and distribute it
>>to enough fedora list users that would bring their smtp servers to
>>it's knees within minutes.
>

> Isn't the tradition Unix response to fire off multi-megabyte core dumps
> at malcontents on the net?  ;-)
>
> However, an attack, whatever motivated is an attack, and can get you in
> trouble while they plead innocent.  Isn't the proper response to
> complain to their abuse department, then if that doesn't work, find
> their upstream provider and complain to that?

AIUI, the problems are twofold at least

(1) someone has (probably accidentally, and cluelessly) used the
"anti SPAM" feature of his ISP in a way that is bad for this echo,
and
(2) UOL is stripping off the needed information to find out who
did it, so we can't educate him and get this resolved.

These two problems require separate, and different, solutions.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.