"Antispam UOL" spam from petsupermarket at uol.com.br?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 18 19:20:47 UTC 2005

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:

[snip]

>>You see, the C/R responder this clueless twit has setup, is also
>>expunging all traces of the source user from the headers of the
>>messages, therefore we have no recourse against that user as an
>

> NOW, THAT is something UOL could fix without 'losing face or business'.

I've got a suggestion...

So far, everyone is complaining about some guy who has probably
made an ignorant mistake, and about UOL which is exacerbating
the problem making it difficult to identify the culprit.

Has anyone tried to respond to the culprit? IOW, answer the C/R?
I won't do it, because I don't have any throw-away e-mail addresses.
But I suggest that a list manager do the following:

(1) re-enable UOL
(2) send a message to the group using a throw-away e-mail address
     contents of said message to be something like:
     You have accidentally caused us a problem by enabling your
     anti-SPAM to send everyone on the group challenges. This is
     a problem for us. Please contact me via e-mail at this address
     and we'll work together to resolve this.
(3) disable UOL
(4) respond to the challenge so the e-mail gets delivered
(5) try to work with whoever responds to get things fixed
(6) throw away the e-mail address, because it may be getting
     large amounts of SPAM soon.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.