[OT] DNSguruz pl help: whois structure, delegation & handling delegation with Tinydns.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 21 12:54:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 13:01 +0530, Sanjay Arora wrote:

> Sorry for posting to Fedora list but could not find step by step
> instructions anywhere nor get any concerned list to respond...so thought
> of fedora list which has always been by last resort ;-)

Way off topic.  Search around for a website for configuring your DNS,
there's plenty that have this information.  e.g. Look through the help
files on a domain name registrar's site.

> Please advise what a standard whois reply should show for an
> organisation and pointers to a RFC which guides the structure & field
> names of a whois record.

Do a whois on several famous sites, and you'll see what's normal.  Go
through a domain name registrar's site, and see what they ask you for.
Search for "whois RFC" and see what you get.

In general, it's name, postal address, e-mail, phone number.

> 2. Classless delegation...I want to setup my own primary DNS Server on
> my DSL with secondary slave DNS servers on the net with DNS services
> like zoneedit.com etc. Now, I want my ISP to delegate my IP so, I can
> change my IP reverse DNS etc...(whenever I want instead of waiting for
> my ISP which takes over a month & multiple contacts, letters & faxes).

Be aware that just because you can quickly change IPs, it could take
hours, days, weeks, for other people to see your changes.  DNS data gets
cached.

> Does the TinyDNS server have to be

I don't know what TinyDNS is.  Does it have documentation, a website,
its own mailing list, etc?

I read messages from the public lists.