Starting a VPN connection

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 19:40:49 UTC 2005

On 11/21/05, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:

> Edit the file /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
>
> Assuming you are trying to log into domain MYDOMAIN, username MYUSER,
> with password MYPW, try this:
>
> # client                server                  secret  IP addresses
> MYDOMAIN\\MYUSER        PPTP                    MYPW
> PPTP                    MYDOMAIN\\MYUSER        MYPW
>
> Paul.

Thanks, Paul! I tried both ways- with the pptp at the beggining, and
with it in the middle (as per your example). In the place of MYDOMAIN
I put the IP address for the university. However, now I can't even
authenticate the password:
Remote message: Password validation failure
PAP authentication failed
Modem hangup

I tried like this:
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client	server	secret			IP addresses
132.68.254.109\\sdotan        PPTP                    password

And like this:
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client	server	secret			IP addresses
PPTP        132.68.254.109\\sdotan                    password

I also talked to one of the people at the university and he said that
if I can't connect via pptp then I could via l2tp. I'm googling for
that now, but in any case I'd like to get this working. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/biography/326/marley_bob.php
Marley, Bob Song Lyrics and Biography