Starting a VPN connection

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Nov 21 22:37:52 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 21:40 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 11/21/05, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> >
> > Edit the file /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
> >
> > Assuming you are trying to log into domain MYDOMAIN, username MYUSER,
> > with password MYPW, try this:
> >
> > # client                server                  secret  IP addresses
> > MYDOMAIN\\MYUSER        PPTP                    MYPW
> > PPTP                    MYDOMAIN\\MYUSER        MYPW
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> Thanks, Paul! I tried both ways- with the pptp at the beggining, and
> with it in the middle (as per your example). In the place of MYDOMAIN
> I put the IP address for the university. However, now I can't even
> authenticate the password:
> Remote message: Password validation failure
> PAP authentication failed

You're still allowing PAP auth; you must refuse all auth types except
chap-msv2:

refuse-pap
refuse-eap
refuse-chap

> Modem hangup
>
> I tried like this:
> # Secrets for authentication using CHAP
> # client	server	secret			IP addresses
> 132.68.254.109\\sdotan        PPTP                    password
>
> And like this:
> # Secrets for authentication using CHAP
> # client	server	secret			IP addresses
> PPTP        132.68.254.109\\sdotan                    password
>
> I also talked to one of the people at the university and he said that
> if I can't connect via pptp then I could via l2tp. I'm googling for
> that now, but in any case I'd like to get this working. Thanks.

If the University isn't using windows-style domains, skip the domain
part and try just the username and password. Put both directions in the
secrets file at the same time; the "wrong" one won't cause breakage:

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client	server	secret			IP addresses
sdotan		PPTP	password
PPTP		sdotan	password