cursed nvidia fedora my lack of knowledgeness

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 14:54:53 UTC 2005

2005/11/8, Gilboa Davara <gilboada at netvision.net.il>:
> Never the less, I rather have a local copy of the drivers, with a simple
> rc.local based script that builds the driver if the kernel is replaced.
>
> Mine looks something in the lines of this:
>
> if [ ! -f /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko ] ;
> then
>        pushd /usr/src/drivers/video/nvidia_driver/current
>        init 3
>        ./nvidia_install -a -N -q
>        init 5
>        popd
> fi
>
> Gilboa
>
> On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 12:17 +0100, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> > 2005/11/8, Gilboa Davara <gilboada at netvision.net.il>:
> > > The problem with using RPMs, is that Livna doesn't necessarily follows
> > > the FC kernel team release schedule.
> > > If a new kernel is released, and Livna fails to update their package in
> > > a timely fashion, you're left with text-only machine.
> > >
> > > Gilboa

> > > --
> > >

> > no you arent because the driver rpms from livna have a fallback to
> > "nv" driver if the kernel module for the booted kernel is missing ;))
> >
> > regards,
> > rudolf kastl
> >

> --

you could also adapt the script to rebuild and install the nvidia
kernel module with a src rpm ;).

regards,
Rudolf Kastl

just outlining how it could look like (i spent 5 secs on the hack
below), one should probably catch exceptions and also make sure a
userbuildenv exists.

## find a good way to not build as root either via su or sudoing to a
special builduser etc
#su builduser
pushd /dir/to/builddir
rpmbuild --rebuild -ba bleh.src.rpm
## this is the point where you exit the session and return to root
#exit
rpm -U /dir/to/outputdir/kernel-module-bleh...