Manage software with yum

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Nov 22 16:41:13 UTC 2005

Joao Paulo Pires wrote:

> Manage software with yum - I am end user (home user). I already
> installed some stuff like: Xine, Xmms, Mplayer, Skype, NVU, aMule and
> others. Some with yum commands, other directly from repositories with
> the problem of dependencies. How can I delete some unnecessary software?
> I mean really eliminate. Each time I try with yum I am not well succeed.

You can use yum remove, but it seems a bit dangerous.  It sometimes
seems to suggest to remove dependent packages that are actually still
wanted.

Best way, for example to delete a package skype, is to use

rpm -e skype

Big advantage of RPM is that yum (or apt-get or smart or whatever) is
built on top of RPM in a clean way, you can always come in at that level
and manage things.

rpm -qa --last | tac

might be useful to see what you installed recently to get ideas for what
you don't want any more.

-Andy