Manage software with yum

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Nov 22 17:05:50 UTC 2005

Hi

>Sorry, I saw this some months ago and I did not bug it.
>
>I got the impression it was along the lines of package x requires
>Firefox, no other package requires Firefox, so yum remove x proposes to
>remove Firefox too, even though Firefox predated installing x and would
>typically still be wanted.
>
>One at least got the chance to review its proposal before saying yes.
>
>-Andy

The above scenario looks pretty unlikely to me. It doesnt matter if
firefox isnt require by another application. If firefox itself is a
dependency for other applications like say ephiphany and try to run yum
remove firefox you will get ephiphany listed to be removed as a
dependency but if you yum remove ephiphany, it will just prompt to do
that and not list firefox even though no other application depends on
firefox since it directly works it out from the dependency list provided
with the RPM package spec file. If you have any specific examples that
you see this happening in the future do file a bug report.

Thanks

regards
Rahul