detecting NIC's

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 17:53:27 UTC 2005

On 11/22/05, James Wilkinson <fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
..
> > The D-Link NIC came with a cd labeled DFE538TX, which holds the
> > driver, which I installed.
>
> Hope you mean "on Windows". Don't touch it for Linux.

I've succesfully used this card in a different computer running Linux. Also,
the box says "linux" on it.  At the moment the computer in question will
have to remain a windows box, but I hope to change that down the road.

..
> Do they show up in Device Manager under Windows 2000? If they do, then
> it's probably just a Windows driver error. If not, then there may be
> problems with the PCI system or the motherboard.

No they don't.  I did install the windows driver for the D-Link, but I'm
still not seeing anything in the device manager for ?ethernet device?, IIRC.

> If you just want to check that the NICs work, I'd recommend a live CD
> variant (one that boots into Linux straight from the CD). I haven't
> heard of a Fedora based live CD recently: I'd look at the Ubuntu live CD
> or Knoppix / Gnoppix.

I'll do you one better:  tom's.  What am I looking for?  Under Tom's Linux
ifconfig didn't show much.  (I'm not sure how to mount a floppy and didn't
write down the results.)  Tom's didn't mention a specific NIC, but *did*
give an IP address of 127.0.0.1 IRRC.  This points to a hardware issue?

> (I hope no-one minds if I temporarily go off-topic: there should be
> drivers for the Dlink card built into Windows 2000. You might care,
> through Device Manager, trying right-clicking on the card, going to
> Driver tab -> Update Driver, and choosing one of the other driver
> options.)
..

I certainly don't mind, although I do feel some guilt merely *mentioning*
win2k in a linux group ;)

I'm not seeing it in device manager, though.  More evidence of a hardware
issue?

-Thufir