FC4 - KVM mouse needing reset

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Nov 22 19:55:29 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 2:12 pm, Doug Coats wrote:
> The attitude of replacing hardware to fix a software issue seems
> extreme and wasteful.

Doug: First off, if you want to get along with the folks on this list, post
your responses at the bottom of the message, not the top. I don't get real
worked up about it, but some do, and I can understand their point of view.
You'll find that some of the most helpful folks here will just tend to ignore
you if you don't adhere to this 'netiquette' - your call...

As to your response, if you want to try and solve the problem, have at it.
Especially if your time lost is not 'expensive'...time wasted is money wasted
to some. In googling this issue a couple of years ago, it was stated in a
couple of places that the issue with Belkin was hardware related - the
circuitry design that syncs the mouse up to the next device is the problem -
it can't lock in. I suspect there's some truth to that - the device works in
some situations, and not others, because the circuit design is marginal, but
adequate to lower common denominator applications. I'm in the video world,
and sync problems are a fact of life in my life.

Adding psmouse.proto=bare to the grub kernel line, as suggested by someone
else in the thread, does work, by the way. If you have a wheel mouse, it will
disable the wheel.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA