[OT] DNSguruz pl help: whois structure, delegation & handling delegation with Tinydns.

Sanjay Arora sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 19:59:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 12:54 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 13:52:31 +0000,
>   Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> >
> > How refreshing to see someone *wanting* to provide appropriate contact
> > information in their whois entry, when the world and his dog seems to be
> > heading the other way and trying to hide their contact details, citing
> > privacy reasons.

Thanks...I'm glad somebody has a different opinion than my ISP ;-)

> Providing contact information for IP addresses is different than for domain
> names. It is common these days for the domain name holders to not be useful
> techincal contacts, as the names often point to virtual web hosts managed
> by somebody else. For those people have contact information in whois just
> results in harrassment without really being useful for people needing to
> solve network problems. For their purposes they can provide any contact
> information they think will be useful on their web pages.

I agree. But I am a small business. Being a IT hobbyist, I'm trying to
build my online IT setup myself...got in Linux & open source few years
ago and have never looked back.

Only issue is that have never setup a live server on the internet
before, so wanted to do things right as far as listing of records/DNS
lookups etc. is concerned.

And with advise from mailing lists, I have somehow managed to do
whatever I wanted be it, postgresql, intranet, internal mail-servers and
I'm sure I will do this right too. After all, with thousands of willing
people at one's back how can one fail?

Anyhow, since I will be the technical contact for my IPs, I want a
proper whois entry for my organization, that projects like dshield.org
can use, if people face problems from my network.

I would like to thank all the open source community for the wonderful &
amazing job you guys are doing.

Now...if you are bored with this long speech, please get to your
keyboard and tell me what to do ;-)

With regards.
Sanjay.