FC4 - KVM mouse needing reset

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 23 04:54:27 UTC 2005

Doug Coats:
>> I have a number of FC4 boxes set up as servers hooked up to a KVM
>> switch.  Every once in a while when I go to use them at the machine
>> the mouse is messed up.  It moves sporadically and acts as though I am
>> clicking on things that I am not.

Sam Varshavchik:
> This is happening here too, and all I have is a garden-variety PS/2 mouse.
>
> This is likely to be some obscure race condition, or some timing issue with
> some chipsets, somewhere in the PS/2 mouse kernel or xorg support.
>
> When the mouse goes bonkers, let it go and wait about ten seconds without
> moving or touching the mouse or the keyboard.  It should be fine again.

I see the same thing with PS/2 and USB mice that are directly connected
to the PC (several different mice, and several different PCs).  It
really does seem that Linux has some problem with using mice properly.

I've seen nothing that will stop a mouse going berserk, other than
ripping out the lead, hopefully before the random whizzing about and
clicking on things kills something off.  If you just leave it and wait,
you stand a good chance of something getting deleted off the desktop.

I read messages from the public lists.