Serial console

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Thu Nov 24 00:21:39 UTC 2005

I'm attempting to set up a serial console on a FC4 machine using some
instructions I have found on the net.  My only problem is when I log
into the serial console, I'm connected to "ttyS0" not "console"

Yes, I understand that I am physically connected to /dev/ttyS0 but IIRC
/dev/console is a special
device in unix in which messages etc are always sent to the console, is
this not correct?  Do I want to just link /dev/console to /dev/ttyS0, or
will I break something?

Right now when the system boots I'll get a message on the monitor
connected to the old VGA interface saying "Uncompressing Linux" or
something like that, all other data goes to the serial port (like I'd
expect).

thanks, Jeff