upgrade install

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Nov 24 08:17:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 03:35 +0100, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 11:09 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Back up any data and config files. Do a fresh install of FC4
>
> I dont agree.
> Linux is not Windows. you dont have to reinstall each time.
> There are many tutorial on upgrading Fedora.
> What I suggest is to do it step by step: FC1->FC2, then FC2->FC3, and so
> on.
> There is defintely no need to reinstall.

There's no need to go via FC2 and FC3 either; the upgrade could go
FC1->FC4 directly. However, given that this is such a "big" upgrade, I
would agree with Matthew that a fresh install is likely to achieve
better results, as it will pull in lots of useful new packages (e.g.
evince) that you wouldn't get by default doing an upgrade, and many
deprecated packages wouldn't get installed, whereas they'll be left on
the system if an upgrade is done.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>