ID Numbering in Group and Passwd

Dave Brown daveb21 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 09:31:59 UTC 2005

I can see 2 ways to resolve the issue from a Fedora development perspective.

1. Similar to the suggestion you have put forward below - Change UID_MAX to
say 40,000 and change GID_MIN to 40,001. That will stop uids and gids from
colliding and is a pretty easy solution to implement from a change
perspective. Raises a problem tho that what UID will the 39,501th user have?
We cant just increase the UID_MAX as there'll be groups using the numbers
above 40,000 and we'll run into the same problem as we're having now.
Chances are you'll be using NIS or LDAP if you've got this many users but
its probably not good practice to be assuming the user management practices
of the masses.

2. Change the useradd / luseradd code to find the lowest unique uid / gid
combination when creating any new user. This is harder to implement because
it involves rewriting the underlying code of useradd but it is a more
complete and scalable solution because you can change the UID, GID MIN, MAX
values to whatever and it'll still work and users will always have their uid
equal to their gid. I tend to favaour this solution because of it's
completeness and scalability.

Robin / Others - what do you think? Depending on the general consensus I'll
probably submit a feature enhancement request.

the same thing would be using the same underlying code / library to achieve
it so there is consistency across the 2 tools but it looks like theyre not
:o(

Thanks all for your responses.

Dave