Manage software with yum

Joao Paulo Pires 198mdk at oninet.pt
Thu Nov 24 15:11:29 UTC 2005

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:15:30 +0000

From: James Wilkinson <fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk>

Subject: Re: Manage software with yum

Joao Paulo Pires wrote:

> Manage software with yum - I am end user (home user). I already

> installed some stuff like: Xine, Xmms, Mplayer, Skype, NVU, aMule and

> others. Some with yum commands, other directly from repositories with

> the problem of dependencies. How can I delete some unnecessary software?

> I mean really eliminate. Each time I try with yum I am not well succeed.

> Any help?

Paul Howarth replied:

Joao said:

> In fact what I'm looking for is what files should I delete (e.g. lost

> files, unneccessary files or programs and programs I do not use

> anymore).

Are you "in the quest for a tidy system", or just trying to recover disk

space?

One of the big users of disk space is yum's cache. The command

yum clean packages

will delete the cache of packages that yum has downloaded (normally it

stores a copy of everything it downloads). The command

yum clean all

deletes everything yum has deleted, which means it will have to

re-download headers next time you do a yum update.

You can also clear out stuff in /tmp: the worst you can do is have to

log out and in again.

If you want to see where disk space has gone, try running

du -sm /* 2>/dev/null

The output looks like:

8 /bin

31 /boot

1 /dev

66 /etc

1648 /home

402 /lib

etc.

The numbers are the size in megabytes. Ignore /dev, /proc and /sys:

they're virtual filesystems that don't actually appear on disk. /home is

your home directory: you should know what everything in there is.

Most programs are under /usr. You can take a look in the subdirectories

of (say) /var with

du -sm /var/* 2>/dev/null

Hopefully you'll have installed all your programs from RPM: using

anything else is a recipe for confusion at best and an uninstallable

program or an unstable system at worst.

I'd be wary of deleting programs you don't know about, or think you

don't use. You might think, for example, you never use something with a

name like "e2fsprogs". But you need the programs to check your disks,

especially if you get a disk or filesystem error.

As it happens, if you try removing e2fsprogs, you'll get error messages

telling you hundreds of packages depend on it. This is A Good Thing, and

the packaging system working as needed. If you go ahead and remove those

packages, on the other hand, you'll get a broken system.

So, as I say, don't delete RPMs you don't know about.

If you want a list of candidates, I'd start with running

rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME} %{GROUP}\n" | grep Amusements/

and *some* of the programs from

rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME} %{GROUP}\n" | grep Applications/Multimedia

Take a look at them, work out what the RPMs are (rpm -qi xmms is good

for this), and see if you can delete them without taking RPMs you don't

know about or do want with you.

Meanwhile, for what it's worth, the standard on this list is to trim

e-mails down to what's relevant to your reply, and answer underneath.

Hope this helps,

James.

--

E-mail address: james | 'In a serial interface, the data bits move down a

@westexe.demon.co.uk | single channel one after the other, like railway

| trains. This is different from the parallel interface

| in which groups of bits arrive together, like London

| buses.' -- 'The Computer Dictionary', Jon Wedge
I just try manage my disk space, by deleting cache, unnecessary software and old kernels. The kernels I mentioned other thread is standard kernels (Fedora kernels). My question is how can I delete/remove this issues in a safe and correct way. I don't want leave dead files. Best regards, Joao.