Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

Douglas Phillipson dougp at intermind.net
Fri Nov 25 20:15:07 UTC 2005

Temlakos wrote:

 >At the risk of sounding like a former president of the USA in one of his
 >more inglorious moments--it depends on what the meaning of the phrase
 >"out-of-the-box" is. /No/ wireless card, AFAIK, will work without /some/
 >form of kernel module or driver wrapper to address it.

I have a HP Pavilion with Centrino.  The wireless seems to be, according
to dmesg output, a Intel PRP Wireless 2200/2915.  It works fine with
Knoppix (V 4.0.2) and when I install knoppix to the hard drive it works
fine.  But with FC4, I get a ipw-2.2-boot.fw "load failed".

What I mean by "out of the box" is, I buy a card from CompUSA, install
it and fire up the Fedora network GUI, it finds the card and wireless is
up and runing.  I'm a techie, but I've grown weary of finding kernel
module drivers for commonplace things like wireless.  Then when I update
my machine it stops working and I have to do it all again.  I was hoping
to just "Buy and go" this time. I actually bought the HP Pavilion
because I tested it with Knoppix in the store and the wireless stuff
"just worked".  But I guess Fedora doesn't support it yet.  I like
Fedora and I don't have a problem with it not working and I would like
to buy a PCMCIA card that "Just works" and is fully supported by Fedora,
if you know what I mean.  I'm not compaining, I know there is alot of
hard work going on by OSS developers, I'm just wanting to find out what
absolutely works, with no muss no fuss so I don't have to mess with
drivers this time.

Here is the dmesg output if anyone is interested:

ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.0.0
ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:06:05.0[A] -> Link [LNKE] -> GSI 10 (level,
low) -> IRQ 10
ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
ipw2200: ipw-2.2-boot.fw load failed: Reason -2
ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: 0xFFFFFFFE
ipw2200: failed to register network device
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:06:05.0 disabled
ipw2200: probe of 0000:06:05.0 failed with error -5

Thanks

Doug P