still having problem...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Nov 25 21:56:12 UTC 2005

On Friday 25 November 2005 16:27, Mattia Forza wrote:
>i have the number of blocks...but when i run the shell u told me...it
>says:
>
>"dd: /dev/cdrom: No such file or directory
>  sha1sum: No such file or directory"
>
>what does it means?

Use whatever device is the dvdwriter, /dev/cdrom is a link here to
/dev/hdc.  It could be real or a link on your system.  If there is a
file in /var/log, called dmesg, browse it to see what the writer was
called at boot time discovery and use that.

As to the second error, do you not have the utility sha1sum on that
machine?  If missing, that seems to be a potentially serious security
shortcoming.

If you have md5sum, it can be substituted, but will give different
answers when compared to sha1sum.  Whatever you use, the .iso file, and
the readback from the device should be identical.

Also, make sure the pipe symbol used by the mac is the same as used in
the rest of the *nix world, a vertical bar found by shifting the
backslash key on common keyboards.  Some systems have been known to use
the exclamation point as a substitute but that was microwares os9, on a
TRS-80 Color Computer from 2 decades back.  I still have one, running
at times. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)