Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

Peter Gordon admin at ramshacklestudios.com
Sat Nov 26 02:59:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 08:00 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> My laptop has an Atheros-based wireless card that does "just work" in
> Ubuntu and SuSE, but it looks like being a major hassle in FC5.

This is likely due to the fact that, similar to Nvidia's or ATi's
proprietary drivers, the module itself consists of a binary-only HAL
plus an open-source driver to connect it with the rest of the kernel. As
I understand it, work is under way to reverse-engineer this HAL,
especially with OpenBSD's recent wireless advocacy.

> I have Wavelan and Orinoco 11b cards that do just work in fc3, but in
> fc5beta1test I can't use WEP.

Likewise. I'm using a "2Wire Wireless PC Card" (it came with the
router from my ISP). It's rebranded Prism2 PCMCIA card which works
beautifully with GNU/Linux.

--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
GnuPG Public Key: 0xDA3634D7