yum repos configured to use only ftp mirrors

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 26 07:09:01 UTC 2005

Tim:

>> I have squid running on my network, but I find it causes it's own
>> problems (see below).  I'm on dial-up, so I liked the idea of having a
>> caching proxy so that I can quickly fetch the same stuff on different
>> terminals.
>>
>> Multi-tab browsing with Firefox becomes unusable.  The browser locks up
>> while waiting for one tab to finish getting what it's getting through
>> the proxy.  You can't start something coming in, then read and browse
>> around what's in another tab.

John Summerfied:

> That's nothing to do with Squid: at work I have a firewall rule that
> forces all outgoing traffic to 80/tcp through squid. Firefox and Mozilla
> and konquere and Safari are all fine with this.

Well, I can make the behaviour come and go, by using Squid or not.
Using other proxies with Firefox didn't suffer the same blocking, and
using a proxy or no proxy shows the difference (with various different
browsers on different PCs, so it's not *this* Firefox with a problem).

Long ago, on a much older version of squid that didn't happen.  Then the
problem started, and it was even acknowledged in documentation that
Squid wouldn't do two things at once.  The problem was supposed to have
been resolved (one reason why I finally updated the central server to
FC4), but it obviously hasn't.

>> The Windows boxes can't update AVG through it, they time out and fail
>> after the first part of the download.

> Internet exploder must be configured to use the proxy. Everything else
> just works.

No, it has its own settings for how to use a proxy.  I can configure it
to go through the proxy (and it fails to work), or connect directly (and
it works).

Same sorts of problems exist with other things (e.g. trying to use YUM
or up2date through the proxy).

I read messages from the public lists.