gcc questions

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 11:16:25 UTC 2005

We're learning C in the university and we MUST compile on Turbo C. So
I need to know how different that piece of windows software is from
gcc. If I compile in gcc, can I safely bet that the code will compile
in Turbo C? What must I know in order to assume compatibility?

Also, all files that gcc outputs are of the name a.out. I want it to
give the .out file the original name of the file, with a .out. I have
manned and discovered the -o option, whereby I can specify a filename,
but I would prefer that it would read the original filename and use
that. For instance:
$gcc mycode.c
$ls
mycode.c    mycode.out

How can I encourage this behaviour? Thank you.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/what_are_the_advantages_of_lcd_monitors.html