FC4 Crached / Hached or what it is, --- please help

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 17:05:55 UTC 2005

Found problem - please suggest solution

-------------------------------
Normal boot time error is
fgrep: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libpcre.so.0: cannot read
file data: invalid argument
-------------------------------
Boot with rescue disk
boot: garbage <enter>   !else kernel panic: same as original installation!
boot could not find kernel image garbage
boot: <enter>           !normal boot starts!
->language: English
->keyboard type: us
->setup networking: no
->rescue: continue
->rescue: ok  !here it guides chroot /mnt/sysimage!
and I get prompt in rescue mode. I mean no parameters or other boot option
are given.
-------------------------------
# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# ls                 !any command gives error like
ls: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libacl.so.1: cannot read file
data: invalid argument
If I exit from chroot or do not chroot in the first place, ls command works
as normal
Therefore without chroot I can see all my partitions mounted and files
intact EXCEPT following
# cd /mnt/sysimage/lib
# ls lib*     ! lists file on screen as normal
# ls -l lib*  ! lists file with few unusual listings, as screen moves too
fast cannot capture it.
                ! Found these three file corrupted; all others seem to be OK
in dir lib.
libpcre.so.1.1.0     libacl.so.1    libdb-4.3.so

(libacl.so.1 is a link pointing to libacl.so.1.1.0)

ls -l on above three individual files gives

?rws--s-wT   65455   429148268    428933146    4289396678   Nov   2   1969
libacl.so.1.1.0
?rws--Sr-T   65454   4291559338   4289658823   4289396680   Oct   27  1969
libpcre.so.0
?rws--S-wt   65454   4291428271   4289855432   4289331145   Oct   30  1969
libdb-4.3.so

There are three questions / concerns - in the order of priority.
First:  How to recover from this?
Second: How this happened? I mean is this some freak error or hacking/virus
activity.
Third : What measure to prevent future occurrence?

In ur answer please include how do I get these individual files out from rpm
packages. or I can simply download.
Thanks a lot in advance.

--
Anil Kumar Shrama