gcc questions

Simon Bone sf.bone at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 26 17:20:24 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 18:33 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 11/26/05, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

<snip>
> Thank you vey much. I just want to be sure that I understand you
> correctly: anything that compiles in gcc using the -ansi option WILL
> compile in Turbo C?

Not necessarily. The -ansi option switches off any extensions that
conflict with the standard. It also enables trigraphs, a standard
"feature" almost no-one ever uses.

Your chances of writing portable code do increase if you can get it
working with more than one compiler from the start though. And error
messages and warnings from multiple compilers are often more
enlightening than from just one.

HTH

Simon Bone