DHCP on external router (D-Link DI-624), DNS on Fedora

Bruce Feist bfeist at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 26 18:51:48 UTC 2005

Ultimate goal: Get Samba, email, and httpd working on a Fedora-based
system, serving a home network.  The network is masqueraded to the
outside world through an IDSL connection; the Fedora box serves as the
gateway, and there's a separate D-Link DI-624 unit which routes
non-server traffic to the internet using a cable connection,
independantly of the Fedora box.

Right now, the DI-624 is the DHCP server.  I don't fully understand the
relationship between it and DNS; I'd like to have either the 624 or the
Fedora box act as a local name server.  Does the 624 broadcast
information about every address assignment which the Fedora system can
pick up?  Is it the responsibility of the individual computers on the
network to broadcast their name and address information?  Or, is there
no way for the DNS server to deal with the DHCP-allocated names?  Do I
need to have Fedora do the DHCP serving instead of the 624?  I'm confused.

I think that I should be using split DNS, but that seems kind of messy
without built-in support in bind.  Are there any plans for bind to be
enhanced to understand DNS splitting, so that a single DNS process could
take care of both internet and local requests?

Thanks,
Bruce Feist