FC4 Crached / Hached or what it is, --- please help

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Nov 27 04:20:28 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 22:35 +0530, Anil Kumar Sharma wrote:
> Found problem - please suggest solution
>
> -------------------------------
> Normal boot time error is
> fgrep: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libpcre.so.0: cannot
> read file data: invalid argument
> -------------------------------
> Boot with rescue disk
> boot: garbage <enter>   !else kernel panic: same as original
> installation!
> boot could not find kernel image garbage
> boot: <enter>           !normal boot starts!
> ->language: English
> ->keyboard type: us
> ->setup networking: no
> ->rescue: continue
> ->rescue: ok  !here it guides chroot /mnt/sysimage!
>
> and I get prompt in rescue mode. I mean no parameters or other boot
> option are given.
> -------------------------------
> # chroot /mnt/sysimage

here you need to look at the mounted filesystems or at the content
of /etc/fstab to get the name of the *logical volumes*  in sda4.   You
*cannot* run e2fsck on an lvm partition.  You instead run e2fsck on the
logical volume within that partition..

for example, on mine the mount command gives:
[jeff at eye-gore ~]$ mount
/dev/mapper/VG00-LV01 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/VG00-LV02 on /home type ext3 (rw)

and to run e2fsck on / I would need to use
e2fsck /dev/mapper/VG00-LV01  (With it unmounted of course).