Resolved XP accessing ntfs partion in samba server

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 27 07:15:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 22:28 -0800, Barry Yu wrote:
> A week ago I encountered a problem in accessing ntfs partition in samba
> server from remote XP, after quite some searching with google, finally
> resolved access denial by adding a line in /etc/fstab;
>     /dev/hdb5      /mnt/ntfs   ntfs   defaults,ro,umask=000  0 0
>
> Before I added the line in fstab, the scenario is I can access samba
> server ntfs partition locally without problem, but when a remote XP
> tried to access ntfs partition in samba server got denied. ls -l  /mnt
> I foune that ;
>
>        drwxr-xr-x   fat32
>        dr-x------    ntfs  ( After added a line in fstab as above, it
> reads  dr-xr-xr-x)
>
> It is obvious that group and other users just don't have any file
> permission at all.

Do you really want it that way?  In my case, I have a FAT32 drive, and I
set dmask=0077 & fmask=0177, with gid=tim & uid=tim  so I got:

drwx------ tim tim    for directories, and
-rw------- tim tim    for files

I didn't want other users being able to access files, nor any accidental
execution of files (it also makes a mess when you copy a text file from
Windows to Linux, it stupidly becomes an executable script file).  If
you give away access to other users, they can do what they like, and I'd
think that ownership of things would get screwed up.

I'd imagine you'd want something similar for NTFS, but not one
particular user and group ID owning all files.  I'd imagine you'd want
the same owners of files on the two different systems (e.g. user John on
Linux is user John on Windows, maintaining their ownership between
them).

I read messages from the public lists.