FC4 Crached / Hached or what it is, --- please help

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 08:55:23 UTC 2005

Thanks Jeff and all list,

I could manage run e2fsck on three out of four logical volumes, Fourth one
is swap!. (after umount)
Results are
1of4 root -> clean
2f 4 home -> clean,
3of4 is a backup file storage - has no system files at all (is not placed in
fstab but used manually.)
3/3 shows  -> mounted 156 times without being checked, heck forced. Pass 1 -
- - Pass 5 -> (no message) ----48/434592 files 31.3% non-contiguous.
4of4 swap could not umount it to run e2fsck on it  (- says it is busy)
After doing this, I rebooted into rescue mode again to check the files and
find no change in status.

/lib/libacl.so.1.1.0 is a corrupted file pointed from a healthy
link /lib/libacl.so.1 ( ls -l lists it OK)
/lib/libpcre.so.0 is a corrupted link pointing to a healthy file
libpcre.so.0.0.1
/lib/libdb.4.3.so is a corrupted file. NO link in /lib pointing to it but
there are healthy files /lib/libdb-4.1.so and /libdb-4-2.so

Please suggest repair method - can these two faulty files be deleted !  and
put healthy (new) files in /lib and recreate faulty link.
Or any other way
Please guide....many thanks in advance.

On 11/27/05, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 22:35 +0530, Anil Kumar Sharma wrote:
> > Found problem - please suggest solution
> >
> > -------------------------------
> > Normal boot time error is
> > fgrep: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libpcre.so.0: cannot
> > read file data: invalid argument
> > -------------------------------
> > Boot with rescue disk
> > boot: garbage <enter>   !else kernel panic: same as original
> > installation!
> > boot could not find kernel image garbage
> > boot: <enter>           !normal boot starts!
> > ->language: English
> > ->keyboard type: us
> > ->setup networking: no
> > ->rescue: continue
> > ->rescue: ok  !here it guides chroot /mnt/sysimage!
> >
> > and I get prompt in rescue mode. I mean no parameters or other boot
> > option are given.
> > -------------------------------
> > # chroot /mnt/sysimage
>
> here you need to look at the mounted filesystems or at the content
> of /etc/fstab to get the name of the *logical volumes*  in sda4.   You
> *cannot* run e2fsck on an lvm partition.  You instead run e2fsck on the
> logical volume within that partition..
>
> for example, on mine the mount command gives:
> [jeff at eye-gore ~]$ mount
> /dev/mapper/VG00-LV01 on / type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> /dev/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> /dev/devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> /dev/mapper/VG00-LV02 on /home type ext3 (rw)
>
> and to run e2fsck on / I would need to use
> e2fsck /dev/mapper/VG00-LV01  (With it unmounted of course).
>

> > # ls                 !any command gives error like
> > ls: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libacl.so.1: cannot
> > read file data: invalid argument
> > If I exit from chroot or do not chroot in the first place, ls command
> > works as normal
> > Therefore without chroot I can see all my partitions mounted and files
> > intact EXCEPT following
> > # cd /mnt/sysimage/lib
> > # ls lib*     ! lists file on screen as normal
> > # ls -l lib*  ! lists file with few unusual listings, as screen moves
> > too fast cannot capture it.
> >                 ! Found these three file corrupted; all others seem to
> > be OK in dir lib.
> > libpcre.so.1.1.0     libacl.so.1    libdb-4.3.so
> > (libacl.so.1 is a link pointing to libacl.so.1.1.0)
> >
> > ls -l on above three individual files gives
> >
> > ?rws--s-wT   65455   429148268    428933146    4289396678   Nov   2
> > 1969   libacl.so.1.1.0
> > ?rws--Sr-T   65454   4291559338   4289658823   4289396680   Oct   27
> > 1969   libpcre.so.0
> > ?rws--S-wt   65454   4291428271   4289855432   4289331145   Oct   30
> > 1969   libdb-4.3.so
> >
> > There are three questions / concerns - in the order of priority.
> > First:  How to recover from this?
> > Second: How this happened? I mean is this some freak error or
> [...]

Anil Kumar Shrama