Screen power saving

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 27 12:09:27 UTC 2005

Tim:
>> Are you unable to find a specific driver for your video card?

Eric Tanguy:
> I must say that i didn't think to that because the generic vesa driver
> seems to work fine and i don't need good video performance. I will
> look at that at work. If i remember well the specific driver would be
> intel one i810 or i945 but last time i heard of these drivers it had
> some problems, no ?

For some people.  I had problems with i810, but recent updates resolved
that.

> Have i just to replace driver "vesa" by driver "i945" ?

Pretty much...  As far as I can see, the other things around that part
of the configuration (naming things), just appear to be for our benefit.

Mine's like this:

  Section "Device"
          Identifier  "Videocard0"
          Driver      "i810"
          VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
          BoardName   "Intel 810"
  EndSection

Somehow, I just don't think that's the vendor's name.  ;-)

It didn't try and set up the appropriate drivers for you, automatically,
during set-up?

I read messages from the public lists.