gcc questions

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sun Nov 27 15:31:19 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 10:17:50AM -0500, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
> It seems that you're really beginning with C. You asked, and you got
> good, specific advice. But it won't be very easy to learn C from the gcc
> man page. A good C book will be a good investment. If you decide to buy
> one, let it be "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan & Ritchie - the
> very authors of C. It is the best book on C. Similarly, if you ever want
> to learn C++ get Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language". Any
> university library should have them.

I agree about "The C Programming Language" (make sure you get the second
edition, whihch covers ANSI C) -- it's better than 99.99% of all the C books
published since then. But Stroustrup's C++ book is a different story -- it's
very academic and not easy to read or learn from. My favorite for C++ is
Robert Lafore's "Object-Oriented Programming in C++", which is very easy to
read and does an excellent job of teaching concepts. (Way better than any
textbook I've seen.) The 4th Edition  is current, but interestingly, the
much earlier versions of the book were aimed specifically at Turbo C++
("Object-Oriented Programming in Turbo C++", in fact.)