FC4 Crached / Hached or what it is, --- please help

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Nov 27 22:32:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 14:25 +0530, Anil Kumar Sharma wrote:
> Thanks Jeff and all list,
>
> I could manage run e2fsck on three out of four logical volumes, Fourth
> one is swap!. (after umount)
> Results are
> 1of4 root -> clean
> 2f 4 home -> clean,
> 3of4 is a backup file storage - has no system files at all (is not
> placed in fstab but used manually.)
> 3/3 shows  -> mounted 156 times without being checked, heck forced.
> Pass 1 - - - Pass 5 -> (no message) ----48/434592 files 31.3%
> non-contiguous.
> 4of4 swap could not umount it to run e2fsck on it  (- says it is busy)
> After doing this, I rebooted into rescue mode again to check the
> files and find no change in status.
>
> /lib/libacl.so.1.1.0 is a corrupted file pointed from a healthy
> link /lib/libacl.so.1 ( ls -l lists it OK)
> /lib/libpcre.so.0 is a corrupted link pointing to a healthy file
> libpcre.so.0.0.1
> /lib/libdb.4.3.so is a corrupted file. NO link in /lib pointing to
> it but there are healthy files /lib/libdb-4.1.so and /libdb-4-2.so
>
> Please suggest repair method - can these two faulty files be
> deleted !  and put healthy (new) files in /lib and recreate faulty
> link.
> Or any other way
> Please guide....many thanks in advance.

First verify that everything is intact or get a list of the errors.
"rpm -Va" should give a list of things that are not exactly as
originally installed.  The code in the first 8 columns tells what is
different. Man rpm to get the details on the Verify option.
Look at the output carefully. Many files get changed for configuration
and just because they are listed in the output of "rpm -Va" does not
mean they are necessarily bad.

Reinstall pcre, libacl, db4, db4-devel and any others that show as
corrupted. The install process should redo the necessary links and/or
replace any corrupted files.

The command "yum install pcre libacl db4\*" should do the trick.