Touch Pad Sensitivity

Lovell Mcilwain lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 03:53:22 UTC 2005

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Lovell Mcilwain wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Is there a way that I can decrease the tap sensitivity or turn off the
>> tap option on my touch pad?
>>
>> I am having this annoying problem that when I am typing my palm or some
>> part of my hand brushes up against the touch pad and starts me typing in
>> another part of the text that I have already typed.  I thought I could
>> live with it but I really can't  :) .  I tried changing my typing so my
>> wrists are up higher but no luck.  So now I would like to try turning
>> off the tap option (if there is a way to do that) and see if I am better
>> off without it.
>>
>> I am using Fedora Core 4 on a Compaq Presario R3000
>

> Is this a Synaptics touchpad?  If so, you probably have the synaptics
> RPM installed.  It includes a program called syndaemon, which disables
> the touchpad while you are typing.
>
> I haven't felt the need, but it might do the job for you.

Here is what happened when I tried to run syndaemon:

[user at Blade ~]$ sudo syndaemon -t -d
Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?

I tried to find SHMConfig but didn't see a man page for it or couldn't
locate it anywhere.  Can you tell me what I might be missing?  I also
didn't see the syndaemon in the services list via the gui if that helps.