Multiple logins on same ID

Saurabh Jain (सौरभ जैन) saurabh.jain at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 06:14:41 UTC 2005

Wow! This list is responsive! Why haven't I been using it before?

First up, both Sabayon and Pessulus look awesome.

> Why do that?  It sounds a recipe for disaster.  Perhaps if you mention
> why it's too difficult to manage individual IDs per student, someone can
> suggest an easy way of handling that for you.

I have a diskless cluster where all clients share the same root (/),
mounted readonly over NFS. That works fine, and I've ironed out some
minor hiccups. /home is RW.

The usage model is that kids don't regularly use the computers. There
are far too many kids in a government school to effectively share four
computers. But four is a start, and basic familiarisation is
happening. Hence I can't manage one login per student. Besides,
explaining what a password means to a kindergarten kid who doesn't
even speak my language, is simply beyond me.

What I've done is that on the server, I've asked GDM to login in user
"user" automagically on boot up, and after timeout. To be honest I'm
just lazy. I should do something where each client has it's own user,
so that host1 logins in user1, and so on. But I was wondering if Gnome
and other apps will let me live with a shared home. Guess they won't.

So any ways of making GDM log in different users on different
terminals, other than dynamically generating gdm.conf on system
startup for each terminal?

And, before I forget, thanks a ton for the response. It took ten
years, but community support for Linux truly rocks today!

Cheers!
Saurabh