composite input selection for cx88 driver / ATI Tv Wonder Pro

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Mon Nov 28 08:57:25 UTC 2005

Am stuck changing my input selection to composite video for my ATI Tv
Wonder Pro card. Also need to adjust brightness, contrast, etc.

I used to do it with the tvtime application, but it fails now with the
VIA motherboard I'm using (S3 Unichrome based):

*** tvtime requires hardware YUY2 overlay support from your video card

Then I used the ivtvctl utility from http://www.ivtvdriver.org for
awhile but that is very unstable now, and none of the several versions
they have released will load modules properly when built against any FC4
updated kernels.

I'm trying to find a way to work past this; here are my ideas:

1) Find a working video driver for the S3 Unichrome video card (with
YUY2 support) so I can use tvtime again;

2) Wait for ivtv to stabilize;

3) Find another way to set the input to composite video; for example
"cat" a setting someplace or add a configuration setting below /etc?
Maybe another application doesn't need YUY2 to show video and adjust
settings?

4) Surrender and install a real video card.

here is the dmesg :
Linux video capture interface: v1.00
cx2388x v4l2 driver version 0.0.5 loaded
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:08.0[A] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 1002:00f8, board: ATI TV Wonder Pro
[card=4,autodetected]
TV tuner 44 at 0x1fe, Radio tuner -1 at 0x1fe
cx88[0]/0: found at 0000:00:08.0, rev: 5, irq: 11, latency: 32, mmio:
0xde000000tuner 1-0060: chip found @ 0xc0 (cx88[0])
tuner 1-0060: All bytes are equal. It is not a TEA5767
tuner 1-0060: type set to 44 (Philips 4 in 1 (ATI TV Wonder Pro/Conexant))
tda9885/6/7: chip found @ 0x86
cx88[0]/0: registered device video0 [v4l2]
cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0

TIA,
SW