Compusa 54MB Wireless G PC Card for Fedora4

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Nov 28 12:53:55 UTC 2005

mcfreemind at gmail.com wrote:

> On 11/27/05, *David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud)* < dave at davenjudy.org
> <mailto:dave at davenjudy.org>> wrote:
>
>     mcfreemind at gmail.com <mailto:mcfreemind at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     > On 11/27/05, *Rey Cruz* < crxtasy_13 at sbcglobal.net
>     <mailto:crxtasy_13 at sbcglobal.net>
>     > <mailto: crxtasy_13 at sbcglobal.net
>     <mailto:crxtasy_13 at sbcglobal.net>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 19:04 -0800, Min Chen wrote:
>     >     > Dave,
>     >     >
>     >     > Thanks for the info!   I did "lspci -v" as root but got
>     >     "-bash:lspci:
>     >     > command not found".
>     >     > I have Kernel 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 on an i686.
>     >     >
>     >     > Thanks,
>     >     > Min
>     >
>     >
>     >     It looks like you just did su instead of su - (gives full
>     path). I
>     >     think you can just do  /sbin/lspci -v as a regular user
>     instead of
>     >     changing to root.
>     >
>     >     Rey Cruz
>     >
>     >
>     >    Thanks, Rey.
>     >    /sbin/lspci works but I couldn't find any subsystem for
>     "wireless
>     > adaptor".
>     >
>     >    -Min
>
>     With the card inserted you can also try:
>
>     sudo cardctl ident
>
>     or su to root (su -) and try the same command.  I had a similar
>     problem
>     with earlier FC4 kernels (no PCMCIA support for my chipset) so be
>     sure
>     you are running the most recent kernel.  If FC4 still doesn't identify
>     the card, it's possible that your PCMCIA controller isn't supported.
>     The card may not be either but "cardctl ident" should tell you
>     something
>
>     Dave
>
>     I got "Socket 0: no product info available" so FC4 doesn't
> identify the card.
>     Which kernel version did you use?
>
>     -Min
> !DSPAM:438abc93295674065619034!

# uname -a
Linux fubar.local.davenjudy.org 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4 #1 Wed Nov 9 19:01:56
EST 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

You should be able to get the latest kernel by just doing "yum update"
as long as you have another way to get on-line with the system (wire,
built-in wireless and ndiswrapper).  If not, you may want to look into
pulling down the iso images for one of the unofficial FC4 updates that
are available.

Dave