Lost boot loader

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Nov 28 14:15:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 11:06:01AM +0700, Rapid Sun wrote:
> Hi,
> I lost grub boot loader and tried to use
> Vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 in FC4 but it halted.
> Please advice.
> Rapid

This recipe has appeared before:
1. boot linux rescue on you system (either form rescue disk or type :
linux  rescue at the boot from CD 1.
2. You linux will be mounted on /mnt/sysimage
3. run: chroot /mnt/sysimage
4. If you have a valid /boot/grub/grub.conf then run: grub-install /dev/hda
(or /dev/hd? or /dev/sd? if more appropriate) That will reinstall boot
block.
5. reboot and remove CD.
and you should be back in business. At step 4 you can fix the
grub.conf if necessary.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University