Another Dual boot question

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 28 20:01:03 UTC 2005

Arne Drechsler wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have windows on first partition, FC4 on 2.,3.,4. partition. All on a
> 250GB disk. Grub is boot loader.
> Can i reinstall windows without overwriting Grub ? Or do i have to
> reinstall Grub after Windows installation ? IS there some docu about
> this already ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Arne

It will overwrite it. I see that you got a recommendation to
re-install GRUB using the rescue CD. Another option, which I
use, is to let the Windows XP boot manager handle the boot.
It works well, and I always prefer to let MicroSoft products
think that they are in charge. They usually work better that
way. I've had problems trying to make MicroSoft products work
in environments they weren't specificially designed for. They
just aren't very robust.

Anyway, my dual-boot boots the Windows XP manager, which boots
up GRUB, allowing me to select which version of FC to boot.

YMMV

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.