Obtaining DOSBOX: Was Re: gcc questions

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Nov 28 21:29:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:22:10PM -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >Turns out Borland made Turbo C (a great compiler and IDE for its day)
> >available for free download from
> ><http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20841,00.html>. And, I was
> >curious, since there's a lot of nostalgia value for me, and I found that it
> >works wonderfully in DOSBox, the i386/DOS emulator -- which is available
> >from Fedora Extras. (So you could even use it on PPC.)
> Hmm. I tried using GNOME to install it, and couldn't find it. I
> then did a "# yum install dosbox" and yum couldn't find it. I used
> Google, and found a hit at sourceforge, but got an SQL error.
> When was it added (I run FC2) and how can I pull a version?

Ahh; Fedora Extras doesn't go back that far. But, you can probably get the
src.rpm from the FE devel tree and rebuild.

Or maybe time to update to FC4. :)

> I used dosemu and freedos for a while, but they stopped working
> for me after a prelink run.

DOSBox is incredible -- much nicer than DOSemu, even though, it's doing a
whole lot more work. Although, it's also heavier on CPU usage. (No
surprise.)