Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Tue Nov 29 00:30:19 UTC 2005

Not directly replying to the questions asked, I'd like to relate this
experience of mine:

I'm using a Centrino laptop with Intel 2200 (b/g) wireless adapter. I'm
also using a Linksys WRT54G-V2 wireless router at home.

This combination has given me grief for months. I've tried all versions
of the ipw2200 and iee80211* drivers in the various kernels that
appeared over time. I've chased the latest driver and firmware versions
from sourceforge. I've fiddled with different Linksys firmware versions.

All of that worked to a degree, but never reliably.

Sometimes it would take me a couple of attempts to associate with the
AP, sometimes dozens. Sometimes the link would stay up for hours,
sometimes just minutes or seconds. I've tried WEP, WPA and WPA2, to the
extent supported by the respective driver versions. Tried NetworkManager
and wpa_supplicant. Same unreliable behaviour, despite good signal (80%
- 90%).

I was always hoping that the next ipw2200 driver or firmware version
would solve the problem. To no avail.

Then, a few days ago, for lack of better thing to do, I changed my AP
from channel 6 to channel 1. *All* of the issues magically disappeared.
I now have instant hook-up and rock-solid connections. Riddle me that.
And no, there are no other AP's or WiFi devices in receiving distance
from my home. Just a microwave oven.

There you go, I thought I bring this up, maybe it helps others.

Cheers
Steffen.