HP Postscript printers

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Nov 29 01:05:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 05:41:20PM -0600, Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 11:24:12AM -0600, Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
> >

> >>Does anybody know if the following printers are Postscript printers?
> >>
> >>HP LazerJet 5L
> >>
> >>HP LazerJet 6L
> >>
> >>HP LazerJet 1100
> >>
> >>I already tried wading thru the HP site, and HP support wont tell me.
> >>
> >>Is there any way to determine whether a particular printer has PostScript?
> >>

> >It makes no difference. That is what the drivers do convert what the
> >machine produces to what the printers accepts. I had an amusing
> >conversation with the HP experts concerning what language the HP Color
> >Laserjet 3500 understands. It is not Postscript not PCL but beyond
> >that it is a state secret evidently. But fedora applications can print
> >to it using the HPLIP drivers.
> >

> Do the HPLIP drivers accomplish the feat of smoothing off the edges, as
> postscript does.
You misunderstand the process. The Fedora application with the aid of
ghostscript creates a postscript file (or maybe your application can
create pastscript by itself) . The posscript is sent to the printer
driver which converts it to whatever language the printer understands.
So the HPLIP drivers do what ever pstscript tells the printer to do.
In a similar way a text file, or a pdf file can be sent to the printer
and the file is printed. In some cases these files are converted to
postscript as an intermediate step.

We is confronted with insurmountable opportunities.
		-- Walt Kelly, "Pogo"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University