samba home var directory permissions

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Nov 29 02:03:39 UTC 2005

Guido Leisker wrote:

>Dear all
>
>(thats a test ...)
>
>[freigabe]
>  path=/
>    .
>works fine until I want to change the working dir to /home. Thats nor allowed. I cant understand that, unix right to r and x are give to all (including "other").
>Who is restricting this cd?
>Using smbclient NT_STATUS_ ACCESS_DENIED is the result.
>
>There is also no way to share the homes:
>NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
>NT_STATUS_...WRONG-Password..  or so comes variantly.
>
>A simelar problem is with /var:
>Here its allowed to "cd /var", but making a "ls /var" or "dir /var" is not allowed.
>
>I am sure that the unix permissions are not the reason. Even 777-permissions does not solve the problem.
>
>I found nothing about known issues to that. I think that a fedora specific problem. With Suse is has been working fine with the same settings.
>Its seems to be no samba-problem, because efileman (if you know) has simelar problems.
>
>thanks for any answers
>
>guido
>
>germany - (is to declare my bad english :)
>XXL-Speicher, PC-Virenschutz, Spartarife & mehr: Nur im WEB.DE Club!
>Jetzt gratis testen! http://freemail.web.de/home/landingpad/?mc=021130

There is SELinux settings which seem to interfere with a working SAMBA
server. Try system-config-securitylevel or whatever the German command
for the program is. The settings should be under the SELinux tab for the
program. There is a caret ( the > sign) that you can expand and set for
allowing home directory access, disabling SELinux for different
protocols and similar tasks. Set the tabs to allow as open a setup that
you desire.
I hope this reply leads you to get functionality as you desre.

Regards,
Jim

US - and still bad English.

--