FC3 installation failure -- SATA problem?

peter wu pwu95 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 04:16:52 UTC 2005

 Thanks for your kind reply. (I think Aaron's e-mail was sent to only me, so I am repeating.)

  It's weird... I initially had FC3 INSTALLED on my computer with SATA drive. But since partition table got hosed, I wiped out the hard drive, and installed FC4. Now, a program that I use doesn't run correctly on FC4 (whereas it runs cleanly on FC3), so I wanted to install FC3 back again. But this time it doesn't even install.

  Thanks for your help, in advance.

  --peter

 P.S. I think I was a much better person before I met Linux and dual-booting and partitioning...

 akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:  On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:52:22PM -0800, peter wu wrote:
> Yes. It's Dell Dimension 8400 with SATA.
>
>  --peter
Well someone correct me if I am wrong. The handling of SATA drives is
a way FC3 differs from FC4. Or to put it another way it would  not
surprise me that FC4 could recognize your drives and FC3 cannot. Just
a thought.

> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote: On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 11:28:22AM -0800, peter wu wrote:
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > When I try to install FC3, I get the warning, "No hard drives have been found. You probably need to manually choose device drivers for the installation to succeed. Would you like to select drivers now?" If I choose a device, or just go ahead with installation, I get to Disk Partitioning Setup. When I ask for automatic partitioning, I get this message: "No Drives Found: An error has occurred. No valid devices were found on which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem." Then installation fails.
> >
> > My question is: I already have FC4, but why FC3 installation would not recognize hard drive and how can I resolve this? (I want to install FC3 because one program is not forward-compatible. Please don't say "Use FC4.")
> >
> >   Thanks for your help, in advance.
> >
> >   --peter
> What kind of drives are these. SATA drives maybe?
> --

> ... bleakness ... desolation ... plastic forks ...

>  Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

Many of the convicted thieves Parker has met began  their
life of crime after taking college Computer Science courses.
  -- Roger Rapoport, "Programs for Plunder", Omni, March 1981
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484