Making sense of OOM killer messages?

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Tue Nov 29 04:53:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 21:09 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> I'm not sure it's useful to know that:-( In my experience (which
> includes 2.6 kernels that are supposed to do this better) the killed
> process is generally an innocent bystander.

The process that triggered the OOM condition is probably just as
innocent. There isn't always a "cuplrit", and if there is it isn't easy
to spot. The OOM killer tries to do the most sensible thing by killing
less active processes that still yield a fair amount of released memory.

BTW, the OpenBSD folks reckon there is no reasonable or fair way of
dealing with an OOM situation and take the easy way out: they simply
halt the whole system...

Cheers
Steffen.