HP Postscript printers

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 13:12:20 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> You misunderstand the process. The Fedora application with the aid of
> ghostscript creates a postscript file (or maybe your application can
> create pastscript by itself) . The posscript is sent to the printer
> driver which converts it to whatever language the printer understands.

Unless, of course, the printer understands Postscript itself, in which
case there's no need to convert anything.

Note that the Original Poster never stated that this printer was *only*
for use with Fedora. The "gold standard" analogy may be dated, but it's
pretty accurate: practically any print job can be converted to
Postscript on nearly every OS (that can print formatted text). So if he
wants to play with AIX, or Irix, or OS/2, or Minix, he shouldn't have to
worry about printer drivers.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Does exactly what it says on the tin." ...
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | I've got a tin at home: it says "Open other end".