Command ($ or #) line; smart completion?

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:36:46 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hit control-R for an emacs-like incremental-search through history.
> There's a way to switch to vi-style but when I tried it long ago
> it lost the up/down arrow scroll through history.  Does anyone
> know if that is fixed now?

It never was broken.  When you set vi style options, you have to use
vi commands to access the command history.  The command line ends up
being put in a modal state just like vi (edit vs. command).  To switch
to command mode, press ^V.  To switch back into edit mode, use any vi
edit command like 'i' for insert, for example.  You move through the
history, and the command like, using the normal vi movement keys of h,
j, k, and l.

--
Chris

"`The enemy we fight has no respect for human life or human rights.
They don't deserve our sympathy,' he said. `But this isn't about who
they are. This is about who we are. These are the values that
distinguish us from our enemies.' - Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona