pxeboot and nfsroot

Cornelius Koelbel cornelius.koelbel at gmx.de
Tue Nov 29 17:11:20 UTC 2005

Hi there,

I am trying to setup up my clientless machine for two days.

THere is aboslutely no good howto for this.
I did it about two years ago, but now it is gone. (I missed to write a
howto ;-)

I do not want to install using pxeboot, and I do not want to use this
stateless project. I don't habe an ldap server...

I got everything set up:
- dhcpd
- tftp
- got my own kernel
- got my initrd

THe machine having no disk is booting fine, loading the kernel from
tftp, and doing the init from the ram disk.

But when it comes to switchroot or pivot_root i run into problems.
The initrd, as it comes with FC4 uses nash, where the mount command does
not support nfs.

So I put several other things in my ramdisk.

The problems I get are either
A) kernel panic
B) or a login prompt without the init from the nfsroot beeing
executed. 	(Since the screen disappears immediatly I can not see, if the
switchroot was done successfully...)

Is anybody out there, able to help?

I case I can provide all the files.

Regards