install issues w/64 bit fedora core4

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:13:40 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Kurt Werner <kurt_werner at hotmail.com> wrote:
> All.
> I just installed fedora core 4 - 64bit using the instructions from:
> http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html
>
> I partitioned a new hard drive (400 GB) for Linux using the manual mode in
> the install for a dual boot.
> Here are the drives on my box:
>
> Drive 0  SATA 0  -- 160 GB  this is my C:drive where windows XP is at.
> Drive 1  SATA 1  -- 400 GB this is where linux is (this was my I: in
> windows)
> Drive 2  PATA 0 (Ide1) -- 120 GB -- this my D:drive
>
> using the df comand in linux I get:
> [root at localhost grub]# df
> Filesystem        1K-blocks      Used       Available  Use%  Mounted on
> /dev/sdb1    378473076  7872052  351065584   3%     /
> /dev/shm        2002000             0     2002000    0%    /dev/shm

With Linux, it is unusual to create just one partition on a disk and
use it for the root filesystem.  I always at least create a /
partition and a /home partition.  This allows you to upgrade the
operating system without destroying your user data.  You should have
no reason for needing 350+ GB of linear disk space, though you can do
that if you really want to.

> Which brings me to my issues:
>
> 1) I can not boot windows XP - I just get a black screen with a blinking
> curser?

See below on this issue.

> As well as during the boot-up sequence I now have three options, instead of
> just Windows and Linux, which is what I thought? Have I don something wrong?

You obviously have either a multi-CPU system, dual-core CPU, or one
that is hyperthreaded.  When this is the case, Linux installs two
versions of the kernel: one that acts like you have only one CPU (the
one with "-up" in the name), and one that fully utilizes both CPUs.
Use the SMP version (the first line) unless you have problems with it.

> What can I do to get windows to come back?
>
> Here is what the grub.config file states:
>
> [root at localhost grub]# more grub.conf
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
> #          root (hd1,0)
> #          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdb1
> #          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/sda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> #hiddenmenu
> title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp)
>         root (hd1,0)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp ro root=LABEL=/
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp.img
> title Fedora Core-up (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
>         root (hd1,0)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img
> title Windows
>         rootnoverify (hd2,0)
>         chainloader +1
> [root at localhost grub]#

Most likely your Windows boot problem is that it is pointing at the
wrong disk.  Change the above line:
rootnoverify (hd2,0)
to read:
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
and see if that works.

> 2) I am not able to access the web in linux?
> here is what my /etc/hosts file states:
>
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost

This would not have anything to do with your /etc/hosts file.  You
need to provide much more information before anyone is going to be
able to help you with this.  First, how do you access the web?
Second, what kind of hardware do you have to do this (modem if
dial-up, network card if over the network, cable/DSL-modem, etc.)?
The more info you can give the better.  Remember that we cannot read
your mind.

> Any help would be welcomed.
>
> Thanks in advanced
>
> Kurt L. Werner